Here at BGL we like to be different – we provide a range of motor, home and life insurance, and exist to make insurance simple and accessible. Our digital, technical and data capabilities are something to be proud of, and we recognise there’s still more to be done!
The Business Technology department within IDO (Insurance, Distribution & Outsourcing) are seeking a Senior Quality Engineer to contribute to the evolution and execution of quality processes and practices. This role is imperative to ensure quality and testing is at the forefront of all deliveries, ensuring processes, practices and standards are adhered to and are continuously improved. You’ll be the voice of the customer and focus on delivering the best customer experience.
As a Senior Quality Engineer, you’ll champion quality throughout the delivery lifecycle and be the focal point for quality within the team. You’ll recognise ambiguity and support clarity to ensure the right solutions are built. Not only will you work with a high level of autonomy and self-direction, you’ll also collaborate with your team to define and mitigate risks with appropriate testing.
What does it involve?
• Working within an agile team to deliver quality solutions
• Working with the stakeholders and the team to ensure Acceptance Criteria and tests are strong and of value
• Ensure estimations, goals and/or roadmaps consider sufficient time to ensure quality
• Ensure solutions meet functional and non-functional requirements
• Champion and own quality throughout the full lifecycle
• Proactively contribute and champion the delivery of quality improvements
• Independently and proactively embed quality into software engineering practices
• Lead quality and test reviews to ensure quality first is applied to all change
• Challenge ways of working to improve the quality of delivery
• Execute automated tests and exploratory tests using a risk-based approach
• Regularly share knowledge across the wider Quality Practice community and other disciplines
• Engage in Root Cause Analysis and Retrospectives to regularly inspect and adapt
• Design, code and maintain automated test cases
• Keep up to date with industry quality trends, tools, practices and share this knowledge
• Actively contribute to post live quality checks and monitoring as necessary
• Apply discretionary effort to ensure the requirements of the role are fully met
• Educate and drive the wider team to design and execute test cases
What will it take to be successful?
• Extensive Agile, software test and quality practice experience
• Extensive experience working throughout full delivery lifecycle
• Proven experience of CI/CD Software Engineering practices
• Strong communicator who can articulate to different audiences
• Strong functional exploratory and test automation experience
• Stakeholder/relationship management and problem-solving skills
• Confidence to challenge technical solutions, architecture
• decisions and test at a very technical level
Why Choose Us?
BGL Insurance is a leading digital distributor of insurance to more than three million customers, BGL Insurance provides a range of motor, home and life insurance products in partnership with several of the best-known brands in UK financial services and through own brands Budget Insurance, Dial Direct and Beagle Street, all supported by state-of-the-art, award winning, contact centres and market leading digital platforms.
With almost 2,000 colleagues across three sites in Peterborough, Sunderland and Wakefield, BGL Insurance uses its passion, scale and expertise for the benefit of its customers, offering unrivalled value, ease and confidence.
Diversity and Inclusion
We're a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and talented professionals. Inclusive by instinct, we encourage our people to create and share ideas – supporting their growth and celebrating their uniqueness. We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer and stand firmly against discrimination of any kind.
Flexible, hybrid working
BGL Insurance has a hybrid approach to working. For most colleagues, this means being in the office two or three days a week and the rest of the time working from wherever’s best for them and their team.